Sunday, October 23, 2016

Reluctantly Giving Blood

I'VE BEEN A REGULAR blood donater for over forty years. I have antigen rich viral free blood, so they call me in emergencies, when they need blood for an infant or a seriously ill person. My blood works, flat out. People who get my blood don't die. You get some of my blood, you're damned lucky, and you're going to perk right up and get off your ass, by damn, or deal with me. That, you don't want. So the other day I'm just getting up, sleepily feeding the cats, changing the litter boxes, fantasizing about that first lovely cup of coffee, and the phone rings. The lady says "can you donate"? My heart sinks. I"m thinking haven't I proven that by now, after 262 donations? But I say weakly: "when do you need me"? . She says "right now, its an emergency." My heart sinks again, and I decide to try to argue my way out of it. "I donated two weeks ago!", I truthfully but lamely remind her, which she already knows. "Not sure I'm eligible", I lie. I'm eligible, always...Over the phone, she shrugs. Silence. Did I really expect her to look it up? She was probably looking at her screen as we spoke, giving me a chance to walk back my lies and save face. I decline the opportunity, and instead I plow ahead, with sinking heart." Is anyone else available" I feebly ask?" No sir".... Nobody at all?..."No sir, but we had to try. Thanks anyway"....WAIT!!!! I scream. "Emergency? Nobody else"? I whimper. "Correct sir". Recently I had made another emergency donation, then been rejected for skipped beats on a follow up donation to boost the patient. I asked what happens if that happens again? "All we can do is try", she says. So I spend two minutes racing madly around the house with the cats, putting stuff on and turning stuff off, then jump in the car and start the thirty forty mile forty five minute drive, pulse racing. I know damned good and well if I walk in there like this, I'm ineligible, for sure. Oh my god, I've got to get my pulse, palpitations, and blood pressure down...down....or there's no point in my going, and somebody dies. But other than that, no problem. So,.....ohh god...So, I start going to a love peace and harmony place in my mind... a pleasant breeze, sun splashed day, meditation. Om......going sixty five on the interstate. I walk in and start to tell the lady that if my vitals don't pass, falsify documents and bleed me anyway, if I'm the only option, I mean, damn... she says no way, can't do that, and I start to go off like a rocket, but catch myself , just in time. If I do that, I'm domed, and so is the infant in ICU somewhere. So I place my fingertips in the yoga position, and tell the lady that I must now go to a place of warmth, calm, love, peace, harmony, and relaxation. She agrees, and smiles.....

No comments:

Post a Comment