Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Continuing the Story of Stray Cats

IN A RECENT ARTICLE "TAKING BETTER CARE OF CATS", posted below, a stray cat had appeared at my house, a gorgeous, sweet female, and I, poor I, was at a loss for what to do, since I already have four stray cats living in my house, and can scarcely continue collecting strays..But she was adorable, and she showed up, then, she vanished, as the article concluded, and I was wondering whether she would come back, and what I would name her. (see article below). well....she came back. She came back, and she was again ravenously hungry, and I cannot let a cat go hungry. So I kept feeding her, while my outdoor female stray pet, Cassandra, hissed at her and seemed afraid of her. Having another female around was definitely upsetting Cassandra. Not good. One fine day, just the other day, my neighbor knocked on my door, and told me that the stray might belong to her sister, who lives down the street. I was overjoyed. It turns out that indeed this was the case, so, the cute sweet stray female has a home after all, and I am off the hook, and much relieved. I hope she has a great life, half a block or so down the street and around the corner, and I rather hope I don't see her again, that she stays close to home, lives long, prospers, is loved. And yes, i would have taken her in, as you doubtless already realized. There are an estimated nearly a billion cats in the world, they live all over the world, and in america cats households outnumber dog households four to one. House cats, as a species, are brilliant geniuses. They have worked out a bargain with the human race. They get protection and care for noting in return, and they control humans, humans do not control them. Brilliant, wouldn't you say? In some places like China some people probably still eat cats, but people like that are changing, and the practice won't go on much longer, if it still does now. A great new book, "the Lion In the Living Room" discusses all this id detail, the relationship of humans to cats, and the fact that this relationship has been of great benefit to cats, overall. Honestly, though, I think I benefit as much from them as they benefit from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment