Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Wanting To Be Understood

AS I CHECKED OUT at the grocery store, one of a chain (which is employee owned, yea!), I noticed that the lady ahead of me had walked out without her plastic bag containing two head of lettuce. I mentioned it to the check out person, who hadn't noticed, and ran out of the building, and saw a car leaving the parking lot. Altruistically, determined to make a difference, I started jogging after it. It slowed down and pulled over for a moment- then zoomed away. Nice car, late middle aged lady, I was sure I had the right car. Just guessing, but pretty sure. She had taken one look at me, I reckon, and decided to play it safe. Who knows what that person might or could conceivably do. Better to not take a chance. I wanted to find someway to convey to her that my intentions were honorable, but had no opportunity. Maybe she got home, missed her lettuce, figured it all out, and went back to the store, and it all worked out. I can only hope. Seems possible, if not likely. What could I have done differently? What I tried to do really didn't matter; just let it happen, she got home, and missed her lettuce, and all was well. Trying to do to much. I further hope she thought about me, the guy chasing her car, and realized, belatedly, that I had been harmless. I consider a good sign about myself that I care whether some stranger understands my harmless intentions. I care! Yes! I have been thinking recently that I am so far removed from the human race that I like dogs and cats more than I like people, and I find that troublesome. Maybe other people's intentions are more harmless than I think. Maybe power is not the most important thing to Hillary, and getting attention is not the most important thing to Donald. But what is? During the campaign, Hillary was being interviewed by a guy who asked her how she felt about the fact that many people dislike her because they perceive her to be cold, distant, secretive, defensive, unknowable, distant, insensitive, calculating, dishonest, and so forth. She stood there a moment, and said: "well, it hurts my feelings". I believed her. I still do. Maybe that's a good sign. The genius of it was, in one brief sentence she disproved everything her interviewer said. So there you have it. Lady at the store, in her car, just doing her thing, but maybe losing some lettuce in the bargain. I, poor I, trying to do the "right thing", but failing miserably, misunderstood. And Hillary, she gots what it takes, but, surrounded by enemies, tough as nails, so strong that she don't feel a thing, she puts the wrong foot forward. The real hero is the guy who interviewed her, seeking truth, and getting some.

No comments:

Post a Comment