Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Seeking Basic Respect, Irreligiously

THE LADY plays the piano for our gospel singing group at the senior center. She does a good job, and without her the group would be all the poorer, musically. She is, not surprisingly, a very devout Christian. I, on ther other hand, am not. I am merely an ignornant man asking questions,as Socrates is reputed to have said, and my preferred religiosity is pantheism, the "religion" of Spinoza. I sing with the gospel group because, despite my general dislike of gospel music an religion, I consider the group a worthwhile community activity, I like to sing, and I consider it important to do more than merely profess to myself my openminded attitude; I consider it important to actually be openminded in deeds, as well as thoughts and words. I don't try ot persuade anybody to embrace my religiosity, and I never disparage anyone else's. I want to be honest with eeryone, however, to the best of my ability, and wheneer religious topics are broahced, I make sure to indicate to others that I am in fact not religious.I am content to leave it at that. When folks express their devotion to their lord Jesus christ, and I sense that they assume that I share their devotion,I inform them that I in fact do not. I don't want to take the risk of being misunderstood by the people with whom I associate. The piano lady knows I am not a Christian, and she worries my eternal soul. I frankly find her attitude insulting and condescending. I got into a converation with her recently. My purpose was to thank her for playing the piano,and to tell her that, despite my lack of religious devotion, my enjoyment of the singing group has steadily increased over the two years I've been pertiicipating. I'm glad she knows about my lack of religious faith. I don't want anyone to think that I am participating under false preenses. Heaven forbid that I should sing for ten years, my fellow singers all the while assuming my religious devotion.Religious people tend to assume religious devotion in others. True,what people assume about me is not my problem, but if I can help clarify, I will. The conversation took a dangerous turn when the lady told me he was worried about me, and told me that there is only one way to approach God; through Jesus Christ. That angered me. Disregarding the validity and the merit of other religions is a common characteristic of devotees of most religions, and I find it repellant. Of the thousnds of recognized religions in the world, all, in my strong opinion, deserve equal respect, including mine. When I told her that the only way to approah God is through Jeus christ for her, and that everyone has their own way to appraoch God, it got worse.I was quick to remind her that if and when she tries to influence the religious views of other people,including me,the person she is trying to influence is probably as intelligent and well educated as she. She seemed insulted by that. Anyone insulted by bieng told that otehr people are equally intellient to them needs, it seems to me,to learn a lttle humility, a trait that seems all too often to be lacking among the extremely religious zalous. What do I think of this lady? That she is arrogant, narrow minded,condescending, and,assuming she believes that non Christian believers go to hell,cruel. But she deserves my respect, if for nothing else than for the sincerity of and comittment to her beliefs, and probably for having been a good citizen for many years, and perhaps, for raising a family. I unabashedly accord her that respect. What do I want from her? Only the decent and basice respect to which I am entitled.

No comments:

Post a Comment