Saturday, August 26, 2023

Sitting Down With Trump, Without Touching

THE LADY ON FACEBOOK posited a hypothetical, an arguably interesting one, but one which in my opinion was meaningless, silly, and certainly of no practival value. Arguably, in fact, pointless. To wit: "What if you had five minutes to sit down with Trump, no touching, and to tell him whatever you wanted to tell him? What would you say?" She then said what she woud say, and ended by making sure we understood that after her say, whe would stand up, storm out of the reoom, vowing to never think about nor speak of Trump again. I say that's a promise she could never keep. Her mind, her memmory wouldn't let her. Trump will lurk within her, and within us all, until death do us part. A sour, Pyrrhic victory for him, who would rather be remembered in ignomonious disdain than not remembered at all... She told Trump the predictable things; that he never should have been president, that he is a rapist, a criminal, a horrible person, that he was responsible for countless deaths by Covid 19, and more. Its hard to imagine anybody getting in that many words in five minutes; I suspect that she went into overtime. What she would have accomplished, in real life, was a purely theatrical display of temper, a display just as well relegated to one's second cup of coffee on the quiet of one's patio. I'm quite sure the lady understands that Trump doesn't give a fig what she, nor anyone else, thinks about him, and given a chance to respond, would only resort to his usual name calling. Anyone who wishes to be invigorated by being called "a deranged maniac" by Donald Trump need only express he slightet disapproval of any of his utterances or works. Can anyone even remotely imagine Donald Trump sitting quietly, listening to every word, while somebody harrangues him with an avalanhe of criticism, valid or otherwise? One cannot. In a five minute interview with donald Trump, Donald Trump, and nobody else, is going to be doing the talking, the interrupting. Trump we pretty much have figured out. And if we haven't by now, as they say, we never will. What anyone thinks of Trump is to him beyond irrelevant; he has already suffered the slings and arrows of disapproval and contempt, and has dismissed them all the way Jefferson dismissed the Book of Revelation, as "The Ravings of a lunatic". He has nothng more to say to us, nor we to him. Now, mind you, nobody despises Trump more than I. I remind myself of Bobby Kennedy, about whom his father said: "When Bobby hates you, you stay hated". I stipulate that I despise Trump, and, thus stipulated, I seek to do something else, to "move on", as everybody likes to say, and, if possible, to do something better, something different. I long ago wearied of talking about, or hearing other people talk about, Trump's hair, Trump's weight and height,Trump's.....whatever. I'm nearly done emunerating his words and deeds, which by now have been more than adequately documented by - me - and by millions of other people, by cameras, and by audio recording devices. To Trump lovers I now offer only: "I need offer no more criticisms of Donald Trump. His failings and sortcomings he himself is exposing far better than I ever could". What would I say if I had five minutes with Trump? Why, I'd talk about something far more interesting than he - me. I'd quickly mention that I have donated blood five hundred times over a fifty year period (I like to brag about that), that despite my seriously limited athletic ability I had an amazingly successful career as a tennis player and long distance runner, merely by pratice and perserverence, that I "rescue", adopt, and care for stray cats, and that, although it took me twice as long as it should have, I managed to complete my doctoral studies and pursue a passibly successful career as a teacher and lecturer. Yep, I'd tell Trump all about me, which I think I could do in five minutes. He already knows about himself, and it wouldn't hurt him to learn about somebody else. I already know enough about him, and neither he nor anybody else cares a rat's ass about how I feel about him, nor much else. Folks these days seem to be interested in two things: Trump, and themselves. Like most folks, I believe that I am not only a much better person than donald J., but a much more interesting one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment