Friday, August 18, 2023

Forgivng A Repentant Trump

SOMEONE INTRIGUINGLY POSTED: If Donald Trump went on national television and admitted to committing all the crimes and telling all the lies of which he is and has long been acused, would you forgive him? What I cannot remember is whether the post included the stipulation that Trump asks to be forgiven. It was a rather short post; I am inclined to rememberthat it indeed did not. Obviously, this hypothetical scenario is among the most wildly unlikely hypothetical senarios with which neolithic humanity has ever been presented; one may as well inquire what one's reaction would be if alien beings landed in front of he United Nations seeking membership, or if Jesus Christ came flying down from heaven in a fiery chariot bearing a terrible swift sword, not an olive branch. But its fascinating nonetheless, nearly as fascinating and revealing as the responses to it. The unanimous response was, essentially, "hell no", not in a million years. When I posted an emoticon indicating that I was tinking about it,I was met with an outpouring of shock and indignation which would have frightened a charging rhino back into the tall grasses of the African plains in timid acquiescence,which is essentiallly what I did. I am well known among my friends on social media as a staunh Trump hater; maybe they felt betrayed. Then too, just as Trump supporters are known for their unqualified devotion to their cult leader, and for their unrelenting willingness to defend him, completely overlooking is obvious moral andintellectual deficiencies,those who despise Trump and his supporters do so with with no less passion and ardor. I should know; I am one of them. So I thought about it awhile and reached the following conclusion, which I am certain I will never share among my friends on social media, because I can see no purpose or benefit in arousing the antipathy of my supposed "friends"; I have enemies enough already. In short, I would forgive him, especially if he asked for forgiveness, and indicated a willingness and intention to change his behavior and to atone for his past transgressions. But whether he asked for forgiveness or not, I would forgive him, knowing full well that my forgiveness has little or no meaning to anyone except me. And then I would go on to say that my forgiveness does not preclude the neessity,for the sake of justice,of his being processed through the criminal justice system,and being given whatever appropriate punishment deemed just by a duly authorized judge and jury. My reasons should be obvious to any person with a reasonably compassionate spirit. The criminal justice system is predicated on the sacred priniple that when a convicted riminal has servedhis or her sentence,the slate has been wiped claen, and the former culprit is entitled to a new beginning. Then too there is the Christian angle,the teachings of Jesus Christ. Although I am not relgious, like most people, I recognize the sublime nobility and beauty of the teachings of the Christian Christ, and for the most part, agree wholeheartedly with his message of love,compassion, and forgiveness. But forgiveness must be sought,and must be accompanied by repentance and atonement. My experience with life has taught me, however, that although most people, whether religious or not, espoue these virtues, few actually practice them. I like to consider myslef among the few who do, and I can only hope I amd not deceiving myself. Goethe said: "We are never deceived, we only deceive ourselves." As for me, I am guilty as Goethe charged.

No comments:

Post a Comment