Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Fighting, Like A Caged Animal

YOU'RE TEMPTED fo fight like a caged animal, as Jimmy Connors once said, because you are, after all, a caged animal. The cage consists of the circumsances and limitations of our temproal existences. The animals are you and I. First be always sure you are right, then go ahead, to borrow Davy Crockett's personal motto. I downloaded Facebook in 2007, I think it was, a bit late to the party, when Facebook was, what, three years old? Almost immediately I realized that I would never use it for its intended purpose, to maintain computerized contact with family and friends. I don't have enough family to bother with, and I prefer hanging out in person with my friends. Purely Facebook friendship has never worked for me, although I am ever near the five hundred friend limit, almost all strangers in actualality, people I never communicate directly with. People seem stupid and petty, who, once they get mad at you, remain mad the rest of their lives, as humans tend to do. I opted and opt to use Facebook to promote my website, which was born on September 11, 2011, and to oppose conservatism generally, and later, Trump particularly. All that remains unchanged. My essays and self promotions are but droplets immersed and lost within a endlessly roiling sea of similar endeavors, which are usually called "blogs". People are free to call what I do a web log, and I am free to call it an essay website. I don't write blog posts, I write short essays. It is a great blessing that I or anyone can type, click, and publish, without having to negotiate with a corporate paper pushing book publisher. My work and everyone's work will endure as long as the internet, and that's long enough. Pitch to contact. Don't try to strike everybody out. Don't concern yourself with how many people actually read what you write, I tell myself. Writing is for fun, not for success or fame. Get up, get out, get better. Blame nobody, expect nothing, do something. No matter how many times I think and type those cliches, they remain true. When writing, the thing is to produce. Be not a J.D Salinger, fussing and fretting over every word on every page. Be an Isaac Asimov, typing twelve hours a day, without ever any editing, turning out more than four hundred books, a world's record, in a seventy two year life span. I don't play tennis or go running to attract attention, and again, neither do I write to gain fame. This website is to a large degree a project to oppose political conservatism in writing, and I am dead serious about it, but I still do it for fun. Since September 11, 2011,I have written an published approximately six thousand pages of non fiction prose. My goal is to extend the total to ten thousand before I either lose my mind, which ome might argue has long since happened, or die, which has not, but could at any time, and indisputably will before much longer. Art, of which writing is one, and science clearly demonstrate than human existence is worthwhile, and let's face it, humanity needs to justify its own existence, somehow, considering the immense, enormous damage it has already done to this planet's ecosytstem, with more on the way every day. If we humasn end up commiting species suicide, and take all other life on Earth down with us, may the devil take us. If, on the other hand, we reverse course and end up becoming enlighented beings worthy of galactic citizenship, glory hallelujah. We will determine our trajectory by what we think, write, paint, and do to ourselves, and to nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment