Wednesday, August 12, 2026

The Earth, Burning

These summer mornings when I awaken and its barely starting to get light, I star thinking about climate change, which I would be anyway. I think about climate change a lot. Other people don't seem to. To be honest, I think I'd like to live to be a hundred or close to it, by which time the climate will have changed dramatically,and humanity will have done something dramatic, or subtle and smart, to reverse it. Or so I hope and believe. I would like to live long enough to find out whether humanity survives climate change, by dealing with it, mitigating it, maybe even reversing it. Obviously, solving and doing something about climate change is a matter of physics and chemistry and technology, removing carbon from the atmosphere. Surely there is a process for doing this, or somebody is working on one. Otherwie, going the way we are, we'll burn ourselvse and the ecosystem up. No matter how long I Live, I won't be around to witness the end of climate change. However, I do not think that the human race is going to continue spewing carbon into the air forever, or, for that matter, much longer. Also, we need to remove a lot of carbon already there from the atmosphere. Our curent "anthropic" age, dominated by us humans, doesn't seem to be working out very well, what with millions of species of plants and nimals going extinct because of us, and the general environmental decline. We can change that. We humans can think our wa out of oure current dire situation, and provide a better future for posterity. We baby bomers do not want to all die off before having dome something meaningful to mitigate global warming. although the post baby boom generations appear to be taking over the task, at least those who care about it. Human inellectual, societal, and cultural evolution is a matter of passing the torch from one generation to the next. Keep the torch going, always as it works it way towards the top of Mt. Olympus. The carrying of the Olympic torch all over the place before ending up in Greece was Hitler's idea, btw...There are a lot of positive trends, projects intended to help save the planet. Much scientific research is already transforming the world. Human research , certainly, but also, research being done by Artificial Intelligence. As AI becomes more powerful, starte to become self aware and self motivated to become more powerful, we humans need to make sure that we control it, rather than it controlling us. A mutual, peaceful, equal coexistence between homo sapiens and AI seems problematic, if not downright dangerous, or even impossible. At some point some AI is gong to become self aware, sentient, infinitely powerful, and take over the world,if we allow it. We must not allow it. The best way to preserve and perpetuate huma life, it aht's what we want to do, is colonize other planets, and to build artificial off planet haibtats, on and beneath planetary surfaces, and in outer space. I don't see human society continuing without all this scientific and technological advancement and progress. Perhaps a permanent native American style stone age globally would be best. But people want and need to learn. Ourmodern, curret level of science is amazing,astounding compared to even our recent past. But we must be careful with it, use it wisely.It would be far better for human beings to feed everynoe, including the chronically hungry, instead of dropping bombs and firing missiles at each other. But we can do it. We can change our tragectory. After all, we've hit bottom, and there's nowhere to go but up.

No comments:

Post a Comment