Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Still Obsessing

EVERYONE would agree that a person needs to stay busy to stay happy. That's especially important when one is quite young, and when one is quite old. Both physical and mental activity are necessary to stay sharp and healthy. The old people who never stop moving seem to be the ones who live the longest. AS I age ( I am now seventy one, and doing well), I am, probably justfiably, increasingly proud and grateful to be at this particulae age, which has been my lifelong tendency; the older I am, the cooler I am, and whatever age I am, that's the right age for me to be, the proper age. I have a feeling of having been born at the right time, and living my life in perhaps the best time of all time. To have been fourteen years old, a bright and curious teenager, when Armstrong walked on the moon was exhilerating, exciting and the memory of it remains the same nearly sixty years later. My good luck in life started early; I was born asthmatic, with allegedly weak lungs. I had asthema pretty bad a few times, and spent time in what they then called an "oxygen tent" if you happen to know what those were and perhaps still are. My parents told me that they asked the doctor whether I would live, and she said yes, he'll grow out of the asthema. Darned if she wasn't right. By the time I graduated high school asthema was long behind me. I am grateful to have grown out of it. IN fact I hae big, strong athletic lungs, "runners lungs" if you will, as if over my life time I have been compensating for my lungs shaky beginning by growing big and strong. Actually, I have been exercising vigoroslsy my entier life time, starting when I was a little ied, and loved running around, chasing balls, playing games, etc..At my local seior center they have a wide variety of activities involving exercise for the members, which is vital cn crucial for the health of a good senior center. They have a little physcial fitness room in the back, which doubles as a storage room. It has a couple of stationary exercycles, and treadmill, and one of those skiing machine, whwer you move you rfeet and legs on thess pedastals as fi you were skiiing or skating or something. I haven't don much of it so far, but I have tried it a little, and I can tell that its great exercise. Maybe I can gradually work into it, start using the ski machine, since, after all, we have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment