Seeking truth through diverse,openminded expression,explaining america to the world
Tuesday, July 28, 2026
Obsessing
I HAVE A FRIEND (actually, I have many more than one, amazingly) who is obsessed with Stevie Nicks. Cant say I blame him. Stevie has got to be the most beautiful seventy five year old woman I have ever seen. Much as I love women, my obsession is of an entirely different nature, a far less pleasant one. I am obsessed with climate change. Anyone who has read even a small number of the more than six thousand essays I have written and published probably is aware of this. Part of it has to do with my basic understanding of science, which forces my awareness and acceptance. of humanity's dire situation. By far the greater part is my having been alive for more than seventy one years, having a very good memory, and remembering what the climate was like sixty years ago, compared to now. It frightens and amazes me how much longer and hotter our summers in the United States are now, how much milder the winters are, and how our annual rainfull seems to be decreasing by the year. It never snows anymore where I live, in the lower American midwest. It used to snow several times every winter. I am convinced that anyone my age, seventy one, or less than several decades younger than I, is quite well aware of what I am talking about. Our climate has changed, drastically. At my age I won't be around to have to experience the worst of it; and the worst,I can assure anyone, is coming, soon. I care, however, about my descendants, even though I don't have any direct ones, aka children. Since I understand that the planet's atmosphere is heating up fast and furious, I am in a panic mode, even thouhg I disguise it well.I must assume that millions of other people,conversant with basic science, are in a similar state of mind. Either that, or they have given up and don't care, or, knowng they are going to die anyway, have decided to leave the worrying and the solutions to posterity. I remind myself that even now science is giving us solutions. We can in effect, reconstruct the Earth's atmosphere, first, by stopping harming it, and secondly, by rejuvenating it. I hereby formally and officially predict that withn a decade or two climate change will have been remedied through science applied by human beings. About twenty five years ago Michio Kaku said that within one hundred years humanity will have the capability of controlling thw weather, hence, the climate. I agree with that. But this hasn't happened yet, and since climate change is happening right before my very eyes,I remain frightened. I feel like I am dangling by a thread over a huge chasm (see Jonathan Edwards), watching the fire department arriving, in seeming slow motion. Another question is; even though we have the means to reverse global warming/climate change,do we have the collective political will to do so? We keep electing morons like Donald Trump, and the moronic conservative climate denying Republican party in America prefers pretending that climate change, man made, is a "hoax". God, what idiots. Knowing that all human civilizations self destruct, that people are at once brilliant and idiotic, and knowing what the climate is doing now does not hearten me. We continue to do too little, too late. We remain behind the curve. Every science teacher in every high school and university in the world tells us this, and they aren't making it up. I hope I can go to my grave satisfied that global warming-climate change is being solved. That means that I had better not die today, or even very soon. If, on he day I die, I can die honestly, realistically believing that human activity is no longer destroyng the ecosystem, but instead nurturing and restoring it, I will die happy, with or without Stevie Nicks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment