Friday, November 25, 2016

Finding Christ, For A Reason

REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY, when high roller turned politician Donald J. Trump declared his intention of winning the presidency, and precluding anyone and everyone of the Islamic religion from entering the country? Seems like a lifetime ago. Now they, the right wing mob which recently seized control of the land of freedom, the land which invites the world to give forth its tired and huddled masses, is at it again. "The fools would be humorous, were they not in such deadly earnest".(H.L.Mencken) This time the revised plan calls for a national registry of Muslims, like the one George Bush the second invoked, to no effect, shortly after nine one one. "Curse on the stripling, how he apes his sire". (an enemy of John Quincy and John Adams) Suppose you are a devout Muslim, working hard, working on your English, living in, say, Deerborn, Michigan, or Utica, New Yawk, or Princeton, New Joisey, or any of the several other progressive, welcoming communities scattered so precariously across the fruited plain, and you had no intention of landing on some red neck's list of human beings to hate. Just suppose. What would be your strategy? Your best guess, please. Were it I the target, I'd march right down to the federal building, find out whether my name happened to appear on the list of those to be mistrusted, profiled, and surveilled a priori, and if indeed my name was there on the list of suspicious-due-to-being-Islamic people, like a Jew in the Third Reich, I would humbly but firmly declare that there must surely be some mistake. I'd be wearing blue jeans, a T shirt reading "Christ IS Lord" on the front, and "Notre Dame Fighting Irish" on the back, and I'd say that, no, I am certainly not an Islamicist infidel, I aint no damned Moslem-terrorist, I hate those unsaved hell bound creatures, and I would make this declaration with confidence despite my heavy mideastern accent and broken English. I would further assert that in fact I have been saved, because I have long since discovered Christ, and am a witness for the true God, Almighty Christ. I'd lay it on thick, by damn. If a quick check revealed my name on the votary list down at the mosque, I'd sneer and smugly say: "How presumptuous of them. Those sneaky Muslims. Never even been in the place". And by god I'd be damned insistent about it. If they decided to ask around to verify or discredit my tall tale, I'd call the local Muslims a bunch of liars and sinners, cross myself a few times, and remind them that Christ is lord, king, and savior, and whatever the hell else the federal registrars thought he should be. They'd probably get so tired of me that they'd take me off their bigoted list just to get rid of me, and when thousands of other people started coming in and pulling the same routine, the federal oveseer of the list of evil Muslims would get very frustrated, and start to feel like throwing the damned list away. The only question is, why in the name of critical thinking don't our right wing brethren and sistern realize this? Because they're conservative, Christian, and caucasian and rather poorly educated and therefore voted for Donald Trump? Its anybody's guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment